Friday, November 13, 2015
Catcher In The Rye Blog Post #2
The vignette I found from Catcher In The Rye was invoked by seeing nuns that had low quality suitcases. The memory brought up was of a time when he went to a different school before Pency. His roommate had cheap suitcases and he judged him for this and it made him feel bad. Holden said "It sounds terrible to say it, but I can even get to hate somebody, just looking at them, if they have cheap suitcases with them." Here you can feel him expressing powerful emotions and almost a personal fault by judging people before he actually knew them.
I feel that Holden expressing his personal feelings really gives you the insightful look to who he is and how his brain works. I think that it makes you almost like a him a little less at first because he sounds rather judgmental but then you appreciate him for being honest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your post. However, sometimes I think that Holden doesn't feel bad about judging people. For example, when he sees Lillian at the bar, he doesn't want to sit with her and doesn't feel bad about it. He says, "But I certainly wasn't going to sit down at a table with old Lillian Simmons and that Navy guy and be bored to death" (Salinger 114). I think it's interesting how Holden felt bad about judging the nuns and the guy at his old school, but he doesn't feel bad judging Lillian and her boyfriend. Why do you think Holden only feels bad about judging some people?
ReplyDelete